Japan and Germany - both knowledge-based economies and among the largest industrial nations - face similar social and economic developments, such as a need for globalization, digitization and an ageing society. Both countries are characterized by cutting-edge technologies and an active startup scene. Their businesses have a great potential for collaboration to drive innovations and foster economic growth.
The “Germany-Japan Startups Platform (GJSP)” aims to establish a basic framework for an effective exchange between the startups of both countries. The General Conference (GC) connects startups, SME & large enterprises, business angels and investors, banks and officials, as well as any professionals with an interest in creating innovation simultaneously via video conference, deepens the information about the different startup ecosystems and creates chances for cooperation.
During the 2nd GC, we focussed on cooperation possibilities between new economy (“bees”) and old economy (“trees”) from Germany and Japan.
Echo in the media
- Handelsblatt, September 16, 2018: https://www.djw.de/de/infopool/wie-japanische-und-deutsche-gruender-zusammenarbeiten-koennen
- Westdeutsche Zeitung, September 8, 2018: https://www.djw.de/de/infopool/in-krefeld-von-japan-das-gruenden-lernen
- Ambassador Dr. Hans Carl von Werthern (TYO)
- Ambassador Takeshi Yagi (BLN)
- Introduction: "'Void' in the Architecture of Innovation and Startups"
- Goya Kobayashi, Deputy Director, Minister's Secretariat, Ministry of Finance Japan; Special Advisor, DJW (TYO)
- Dr. Bastian Schwithal, Founder, Go-SAKE (BLN)
- Panel I: "Japanese and German Startup Ecosystems: Creating an Infrastructure and Framework for Innovation"
- Dr. Klemens Gaida, CEO, Digital Innovation Hub (NRW)
- Ikuo Hiraishi, Founder & CEO, DreamVision Inc. (TYO)
- Thomas Jarzombek MdB, Partner, releon GmbH (NRW)
- Makoto Takeda, Managing Director, Bistream UG (BLN)
- Miki Uchida, Director, Zero One Booster, Inc. (TYO)
- Lisa Wäntig, Head of Business Development, Wantedly Inc. (BLN)
- Panel II: "Innovation Drivers in Japan and Germany: Some Best Practices of Successful Cooperation and how to shift from Vision to Reality"
- Peter Boras, CEO & Co-Founder, RoboticsX GmbH (BLN)
- Carsten Dolch, Managing Director, FoxBase GmbH (NRW)
- Rainer Führes, Managing Director, Canon Deutschland GmbH (NRW)
- Philipp Heltewig, CEO, Head of R&D, Cognigy GmbH (NRW)
- Shigeki Hirano, Department of Neurology, Chiba University (TYO)
- Karen Otte, Scientific Director, Motognosis Labs (BLN)
- Patrick Prüss, Head of Product Management Liability/ Accident & Digital Officer, Gothaer Allgemeine Versicherung AG (NRW)
- Bianca Schmitz, Program Director and Co-Director of the Hidden Champions Institute (HCI), ESMT (BLN)
- Toshi Taki, Co-Founder, Money Forward Inc. (TYO)
German Embassy in Tokyo
Japanese Embassy in Germany
To realize the project, we thank you for a contribution of EUR 1,000 / JPY 130,000 (VAT included).
Your added values:
- Placing company logo
- Placing material and roll-up at all locations on September 15
The idea for the “Germany-Japan Startups Platform” was born in 2016 when DJW made startups and their ecosystems in Germany and Japan topic of its anniversary symposiums in Berlin and Tokyo. On February 28th 2017, the 1st General Conference took place with almost 200 participants connecting two big cities and their startups simultaneously via video conference.
The Platform aims to establish a basic framework for an effective cooperation among startup companies in Germany and Japan; it is a unique platform offering startups in Germany and Japan a direct connection to each other. After the kick-off General Conference between Berlin and Tokyo, we sought to hold similar events connecting German cities with Japanese ones.
We know of the importance of face-to-face meetings. Therefore, the ultimate goal of this platform is to establish at first a startup ecosystem based on digitization, which would then lead to face-to-face meetings of our participants either in Germany, Japan, or somewhere else.
Please check out
- short video (2:29 min) on YouTube
- report of TV Berlin (11:28 min)
- photos taken during the 1st General Conference
- Facebook page of the "Germany-Japan Startups Platform"
Ms. Anne Pomsel, DJW, email@example.com / +49 211 99459191
Impressions Germany-Japan Startups Platform (BLN - NRW - TYO, 15.09.2018)
- DJW - Germany-Japan Startups Platform - 2nd General Conference - Presentation
- DJW - Germany-Japan Startups Platform - 2nd General Conference - Agenda
- DJW - Germany-Japan Startups Platform - 2nd General Conference - Sponsoring_engl
- DJW - Germany-Japan Startups Platform - 2nd General Conference - Sponsoring_jp